Sunday, July 20, 2008

Ocean View Secondary School


For the rest of my time here, I will be working at the Ocean View Secondary School.  It is the high school that serves the families in the "colored" area of Ocean View, and a small percentage from the neighboring areas.  I spent the first day as a teacher's assistant in an Afrikaans-only classroom, and quickly volunteered to play the role of substitute.  If a teacher is absent, the students are instructed to report to their "guardian" (homeroom) teacher- so they end up disturbing the other classes.  Now, they come to me. 

The students get 2 30 minute "intervals" (basically a recess) where they can have tea, eat lunch, walk around, and occasionally get into small fights that are quickly diffused by the grounds staff.





1 comment:

Carol said...

Hi my name is Carolina and I'm brazilian. I loved your blog, because I was in Cape Town in januar 2007 and your pictures are just like mine. Congratulations for your work. I'm teacher too, but literatur teacher. I was in Cape Town to study english. Your blog is in my favorites now. Kisses (sorry the mistakes)